Jan 9, 2009

DIY Project

I wanted to share a fairly simple DIY (with the help of a friend) project I just finished. I had this empty space under my counter top reserved for a dishwasher but since I'm a renter I'm certainly not investing in a dishwasher. My husband and I had rigged the front panel with hinges and had been using it as a garbage/recycling spot. But after purchasing a used washer/dryer (worth investing in!) I had to rearrange several storage spots in my apartment for things that used to live in the W/D closet. One relocation was the litter box for our foster cat, Stuart. I decided to put it under the counter next to the garbage but then I had to keep the "door" open all the time. I needed a fabric panel so Stu could help himself.

First stop, Fabric.com! An awesome site! They have tons of great fabric at discount prices. Some of my favorites are the Amy Butler fabrics:
She also has super cute patterns for bags, pillows, hats, aprons and more! Makes me want to take sewing lessons!
So I chose a fabric that I thought would compliment the tones of my cabinets and coordinated with a stripe on my rug.

Next stop, sewing machine! Ok, so the last time I actually sewed something was about 12 years ago. I made an apron that had teddy bears on it. Of course my mother helped me and the apron was so cute once completed with the exception of one minor detail, the teddy bears were upside-down!! (An over-site I blame my mother for! And she found it quite amusing.) Anyway, I still wore it and we even made a matching bow-tie for my teddy bear, Bubba. So what's my point, sewing is not one of my talents! So I recruited a friend with a sewing machine and some basic skills. A few days later I had my curtain! Check out the Before and After:

So much better! Stuart is also very pleased with the convenience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stuart is very lucky to have such a nice and talented "mother" who goes to so much trouble to give him some privacy. Upside down teddy bears?? Abby, you were just being fashionable, even back then!