Dec 17, 2008

The Napkin Sketch


Ah, the napkin sketch. I find beauty in it - it's somehow intriguing to me. Perhaps it's evaluating the thought process that went into it. I've been drawing "napkin sketches" since as long as I can remember. It started with creating little floor plans out of play-doh in kindergarten. By the time I was in first grade, I was drawing my own little "dreamy" floor plans. It must have been the influence of growing up with rolls of blueprints around as my mom spent late nights drawing furniture floor plans, lighting plans, etc at her drafting board. Thirty plus years later, I am still drawing floor plans!

Kelly Wearstler's sketch (above) for her boutique at Bergdorf Goodman translated into this:

And as for the work of Philippe Starck, all I can say is brilliant! The man is genius!

I've forever been enamoured by the sketches of Frank Gehry (& there is a movie of the same title!).


To freely hand sketch in furnishings helps to get a sense of placement before starting the hard-line drawing:

And of course, a great rendering is a work of art.

We are still accepting submissions for our current month's design challenge - please submit your living rooms for a free space plan! I'm looking forward to featuring the blog post - and I'll need to start with a napkin sketch!

3 comments:

flygirl said...

Perhaps the reason why sketches are so intriguing is that they're a bit more fantasy than reality. The sketches I see of clothing designs, residential developments, resorts or retail spaces are usually more exciting than the real life results.

Take Kelly's boutique at Bergdorf Goodman for example. The sketch is dreamier than the promo photo, and the promo photo is dreamier than the small, unexciting space it is in person. It was a disappointment to see as was the restaurant she designed around the corner. How sad because I adore Kelly's designs!

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous! I love them too and wish I could draw, these are inspiring me to try. I have to get to Bergdorf's and see KW's setup.

Anonymous said...

yeezy shoes
chrome hearts outlet
yeezy gap
a bathing ape
hermes bag outlet
kd13
kobe byrant shoes
jordan shoes
golden goose outlet
bape