Oct 27, 2008

Chain, Chain, Chain


I have to confess something, I really cringe when I hear the word, "trend." To me that immediately signals the downfall of something I've probably liked for years that will now be everywhere, saturating the market, and I will be eventually worn down to the point that I fall out of love with it a little bit. Now, let me clarify... trends are fun, but I personally have more fun experimenting with them in fashion.  To me putting a trend in your home for the sake of a trend is a little too permanent.  Being a designer and design blogger it can be difficult/annoying to watch your beloved suzani be commercialized to the point of a sale rack at Target (not that I don't shop the sale racks at Target).  So when we talk about trends it is definitely a love/hate kind of thing!  

Interlocking links or chain link is an example something I have always liked that now seems to be everywhere (but right now in a good way). I love it because it is such a simple design with humble origins yet it has become iconic (Thanks to Hermes and Chanel).


The Chaine D'Ancre pattern from Hermes has an underlying equestrian feel.


Lauren Conrad carries a classic Chanel bag with the signature chain link straps.



Chunky chain gold jewelry is an accessory staple for me (J Crew bracelets).


This link "motif" has been around a long time. I LOVED these windows at St. Peter's in Rome.

This ingenious D.I.Y. shelf was showcased in the late Blueprint Magazine but I found it here.


These slinky chain metal curtains add amazing texture to this sleek room.


These bath mats are a pretty literal interpretation.  


Bedding on sale from Pottery Barn.


Glass Links chandelier from Z Gallerie.


Nate Berkus used a lot of chain link in his collection for the late Linens N' Things.


A favorite mirror from Mecox.

This neutral pillow is great if you want to add just a hint of the pattern.

Nordstrom "Etched Key" Vase.

I leave you with the immortal words of Billy Baldwin, "Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style."  

10 comments:

sandra/tx said...

I love chains, too. We'll be seeing those along with lattice at Wally before too long. :-/

Unknown said...

that chian shelf is pretty spiffy. is that your pooch snuggled up with his nate berkus linens? he's adorable!

SimplyGrove said...

WHat a fun post!! I love chains:)
Come over to my blog for a table giveaway:)

Anonymous said...

love to see nice designs. And I must that those are high level designs.

My Decor Style said...

I like chains, too, but I am annoyed when I see them EVERYWHERE, even at Lowe's (and not in the chain department). I was in Michael's the other day and saw several sunburst mirrors and shelves of mercury glass. I rarely invest in trendy things because of this.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is miracle. I love the lights, so shine !

Lauren said...

Sandra, you'd be suprised, I have found some "gems" at Wally World - however, I HATE going there!

Maison, yes that's my lil' girl, Hartley on our PB shams :)

Simply Grove - I must check out your giveaway!

My Decor Style, it's love/hate you gotta keep checking those stores because you just never know when you will find something great...but yes, it does get a little depressing.

Unknown said...

Great post, Lauren! I also love chains, and you're right...they are everywhere!

KarenB said...

I've been lurking but had to comment about your chain post. This trend dilemma bugs me. I do think it's valuable for everyone to be able to afford beautiful things, but beautiful things become "cheapened" in my mind when they are at Home Goods, Target and Wal-Mart. You said it better than I can. I try to stay away from trends, but it becomes impossible.

Anonymous said...

I just love the way the chain was used in creating that floating shelf, what a great idea.